Friday 5 August 2016

Sun and Sea in Mykonos...

Today is a very exciting day as it is my first holiday post! My family and I visited the beautiful Greek island of Mykonos and enjoyed a week of sunbathing and walking through the cobbled streets with great greek food to keep us energised.

We stayed at the Palladium Boutique Hotel which was gorgeous and our room felt like we had our own mini villa. Unfortunately I did not take any photos of the hotel but you can find more details about it here http://www.hotelpalladium.gr .The highlights for me were: the diverse breakfast buffet featuring thick greek yoghurt with all the toppings you could dream of (nuts, figs, honey, fresh fruit, cereals etc); the small gym which was air conditioned with enough equipment for a quick holiday workout; the walking distance to the beach and restaurants and bars.

A few nights out of the week we took the bus into Mykonos centre which is absolutely picturesque and where most of the blue and white photos you see online are taken.



This view is cutely named "Little Venice" as it mimics the houses in Italy's real Venice and is also the most romantic place in Mykonos. You can stay in a hotel here but I preferred where we stayed as we were not woken up by Greeks going about their daily business in the early hours of the morning.



Opposite Little Venice are a few windmills sitting proudly on a small hill. I'm not sure they are used for anything but they sure do make a great photo!





Within the town, we managed to find a build your own frozen yoghurt shop! Controversial I know as I am sure there is other amazing ice cream/gelato to be found on the island. Butttttttt we love choosing all the toppings we like (aka ALL the oreos).





The weather here was really sunny but also a lot more windy than we are used to on a beach holiday. The wind meant that it did not feel as hot as it actually was so bear that in mind when you don't think you are getting too hot sunbathing and then go inside looking like a tomato!

This was just one of the beautiful beaches in walking distance of the hotel, just look at that turquoise sea!




I recommend walking around the bay in Mykonos town and timing your dinner just right so you can sit at one of the restaurants on the water and watch the sun go down. Definitely a view I will remember forever.



In England, I love riding and I thought the cherry on top of this cake of a holiday would be riding on the beach. I came across the website http://www.mykonoshorse.com and emailed them to arrange a ride for my sister and I. 

The very next day we were picked up and taken to the stables. After getting sized up to a horse each we were off on our private ride with one guide also on horseback. It was about a half an hour ride to the beach (you can request any speed you like or simply sit back and enjoy the view). We then had a little photo session with the lovely guide taking our photo with the horses and dismounted for an hour. There is a little castaway cafe next to the beach where we bought a drink and refreshed ourselves before heading down to the shore. We swam for a while and then sunbathed on a rock to dry off before mounting our horses again and heading back. I would recommend this experience to anyone, even if you have never ridden before!





I loved Mykonos and will definitely be back again, perhaps with my boyfriend and not my family though as it is a very romantic island. Feel free to ask me any questions in the comments about Mykonos (:

No comments:

Post a Comment